Sanity Check My Production Server

Pogdy

Cadet
Joined
Jan 28, 2023
Messages
9
<div class="bbWrapper">Hey all,<br /> <br /> I’m planning to upgrade my design &amp; animation studios storage system from 3 low spec Synologys to a single beefy TrueNas server (core or scale, undecided atm). My plan is to then attach a JBOD to it for snapshots, backup, archival. I already back up offsite as well and a cloud backup on AWS.<br /> <br /> I’m planning on the following spec and would like a sanity check:<br /> <br /> <ul> <li data-xf-list-type="ul">Gigabyte R272-Z31</li> <li data-xf-list-type="ul">AMD EPYC 7443P - 24 Cores 2.85GHz/4GHz</li> <li data-xf-list-type="ul">16x64GB 3200MHz DDR4 ECC Registered</li> <li data-xf-list-type="ul">Dual 10Gbe SFP+ &amp; Built in IPMI</li> <li data-xf-list-type="ul">Onboard 12Gb/s SAS expander</li> <li data-xf-list-type="ul">HBA Card for Jbod</li> <li data-xf-list-type="ul">Redundant Power Supplies</li> </ul>For storage I’m thinking of getting 24 x 2.5&quot; SSDs, aiming for a usable capacity of 100TB. The case supports 26 drives total:<br /> <br /> <ul> <li data-xf-list-type="ul">4 vdevs of 6 drives each, Raidz2</li> <li data-xf-list-type="ul">2 additional 2.5&quot; ssds for boot drives</li> <li data-xf-list-type="ul">2 M.2 capacity for later if L2Arc is needed with that much ram.</li> </ul>For use case this will be used as our production server where around 30 people will be writing/reading to it over smb on a 10gbe LAN.</div>
 

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Moderator
Joined
Feb 15, 2014
Messages
20,194
<div class="bbWrapper">No obvious red flags here, but you should probably look at NVMe instead of SATA/SAS.<br /> <blockquote data-attributes="member: 122075" data-quote="Pogdy" data-source="post: 742259" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch"> <div class="bbCodeBlock-title"> <a href="/community/goto/post?id=742259" class="bbCodeBlock-sourceJump" rel="nofollow" data-xf-click="attribution" data-content-selector="#post-742259">Pogdy said:</a> </div> <div class="bbCodeBlock-content"> <div class="bbCodeBlock-expandContent js-expandContent "> For storage I’m thinking of getting 24 x 2.5&quot; SSDs, aiming for a usable capacity of 100TB. </div> <div class="bbCodeBlock-expandLink js-expandLink"><a role="button" tabindex="0">Click to expand...</a></div> </div> </blockquote>That means 8+ TB SSDs, at which point you're probably better off with fewer, higher-capacity NVMe SSDs, if the cost is right.</div>
 

Pogdy

Cadet
Joined
Jan 28, 2023
Messages
9
<div class="bbWrapper">I thought of going NVME but I realised if i fully populated the 24 bays in the future I'd probably have to go with a better CPU as I don't think it would be able to keep up. Also more importantly I don't think our 10Gbe LAN would fully utilise those NVMe drives?</div>
 
Last edited:
Top