CORE to SCALE Migrations
3 minute read.Last Modified 2023-11-17 15:28 EST
This section provides information and instructions for CORE users wanting to migrate to SCALE.
High Availability (HA) systems cannot migrate directly from CORE to SCALE.
Enterprise customers with HA systems should contact iXsystems Support before attempting any migration.
Customers who purchase iXsystems hardware or that want additional support must have a support contract to use iXsystems Support Services. The TrueNAS Community forums provides free support for users without an iXsystems Support contract.
Contact Method Contact Options Web https://support.ixsystems.com email@example.com Telephone Monday - Friday, 6:00AM to 6:00PM Pacific Standard Time:
US-only toll-free: 1-855-473-7449 option 2
Local and international: 1-408-943-4100 option 2
Telephone After Hours (24x7 Gold Level Support only):
US-only toll-free: 1-855-499-5131
International: 1-408-878-3140 (international calling
Migrating TrueNAS from CORE to SCALE is a one-way operation. Attempting to activate or roll back to a CORE boot environment can break the system.
Upgrade your CORE system to the latest publicly-available 13.0-Ux release before attempting to migrate from CORE to SCALE.
SCALE Bluefin deprecates and Cobia removes the built-in DDNS, OpenVPN server and client, rsync, S3, and TFTP service. The WebDAV service and share feature are also deprecated in Bluefin and removed in Cobia. New applications are available in Bluefin to serve as replacements for the functions these services provided.
To migrate from CORE to SCALE Cobia, first upgrade to and migrate from the latest CORE release to the latest release of SCALE 22.12 (Bluefin). While running SCALE Bluefin, take the necessary steps to transition from these deprecated services to the applications that replace them, then upgrade to SCALE 23.10 (Cobia). The replacement applications are available in SCALE 22.12 and 23.10.
Linux treats device names differently than FreeBSD so please read Component Naming for more information.
The ZFS flag feature merged into the TrueNAS fork of OpenZFS for developers to test and integrage with other parts of the system on June 29,2021 is also removed. Please read ZFS Feature Flags Removed for details on this change.
After migration, it is strongly recommended to review each area of the UI that was previously configured in CORE.
- Preparing to Migrate TrueNAS CORE to SCALE: Guides CORE users about elements they should prepare before beginning the one-way CORE to SCALE migration process.
- Migrating TrueNAS CORE to SCALE: Provides instructions on migrating from TrueNAS CORE to SCALE. Migration methods include using an ISO file or a manual update file.
- Preparing to Migrate TrueNAS CORE to SCALE (Enterprise HA): Provides information for CORE Enterprise (HA) users planning to migrate to SCALE and what you need to know and have ready before beginning the one-way process.
- Migrating TrueNAS CORE to SCALE (Enterprise HA): Discusses migrating a TrueNAS CORE High Availability (HA) system to SCALE.
- Component Naming: Provides information on disk and interface naming changes related to the change from FreeBSD storage and sharing in CORE to Linux in TrueNAS SCALE.
- ZFS Feature Flags Removed: Provides information on the removal of the ZFS feature flag merged into OpenZFS on June 29, 2021.